What are the first steps to take if I've been in an auto accident?
If you have been in an auto accident in Chattanooga, Tennessee, the first thing you will want to do is contact emergency personnel, and wait at your vehicle until they arrive. While waiting for police and medical assistance, you will want to:
- Obtain the names and contact information of all witnesses
- Obtain the other driver's information, including insurance information
- If possible, take pictures of the scene along with notes about car position, location, and all damage done to your vehicle
Once emergency personnel arrive, what should I do?
When the police arrive, take extra care to cooperate and answer all of their questions. You will want to obtain all contact information for the officers involved, and carefully fill out your police report. This report will need to be turned into the police within five days.
When medical professionals arrive, you will need to be thoroughly checked for any injuries you may have sustained. Remember that many injuries sustained in an auto accident may not be immediately apparent, and an okay from the EMTs should not replace a visit to your own health care provider as soon as possible following your accident.
How soon should I contact my insurance company?
Your insurance company should be notified of your car accident as soon as possible. Waiting to file a claim can result in denial. If you have a local agent, it may be preferable to visit his office and file the claim in person. No matter who you talk to in order to file your claim, do not admit to any liability, or sign any insurance release or waiver.
I've been injured in an auto accident, what should my first step be?
When you are involved in an auto accident there are certain steps you should follow at the scene of the accident. If injury is involved, it is important to:
- Wait at the scene for medical personnel to obtain immediate care
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible to determine the extent of your injuries
- Obtain as much information as possible about your injuries and their possible causes
- Contact an attorney with sufficient experience helping auto accident victims in Tennessee obtain the compensation they deserve.
For more information, please see What To Do at the Scene of a Car Accident.
If you have been injured in an auto accident in Chattanooga, Tennessee, please contact experienced Tennessee auto accident attorney, Herbert Thornbury, to have all of your questions answered, and to start working towards getting the compensation you deserve.