There is never a good time to be involved in an auto accident, but during the holiday season, it can be all the more devastating. With congested traffic, questionable weather and car loads of friends and families traveling together, it's important for Chattanooga residents to stay alert and exercise caution behind the wheel.
To be a safer driver and to avoid being injured in an auto accident, you can make a conscious effort to:
- Wear your seatbelt - As the driver, you should always protect yourself and encourage your passengers to do the same.
- Obey speed the speed limit - Plan ahead for heavy traffic, inclement weather and rest breaks so you don't have any temptation to rush.
- Avoid being a distracted driver - When you're behind the wheel, make a commitment not to text or talk on the phone until you pull over.
- Take breaks when you feel tired - Being well-rested before starting your journey and pulling over to rest if you feel drowsy will keep you from driving recklessly.
- Be a defensive driver - Don't follow too closely behind other vehicles and be aware of other motorists sharing the road.
- Service your vehicle ahead of time - Before you even hit the road, make sure your vehicle has been tuned-up and can safely make the journey.
Though following these guidelines will not guarantee your safety, these simple precautions can greatly reduce your risk of causing an auto accident. Unfortunately, when others fail to drive responsibly, their negligence can still end up causing you harm.
If you or your loved ones have been injured in an auto accident as the result of someone else's negligence or recklessness, contact Herbert Thornbury Attorney at Law at (423) 443-3973 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Chattanooga, Tennessee accident attorney today.