In a recently released report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it has been estimated that nearly 10 percent of fatal car crashes in 2012 involved distracted driving. These distraction-related crashes resulted in more than 3,300 car accident fatalities that may have been avoided with safer driving.
At the law office of Herbert Thornbury, our Chattanooga car accident lawyer understands that distracted drivers can cause accidents for even the safest drivers. Mr. Thornbury can help you get the damages you deserve if you are injured by a distracted driver.
Driver distractions can come in many different forms, but some of the most common driver distractions include:
- Cell phone use – According to recent studies, texting can impair your driving ability similar to intoxication. Even talking on a cell phone can divert your attention from the road with dangerous consequences.
- Food and beverage consumption – Eating and drinking can not only split you mental focus, but it can cause you to take your hands off the wheel and your eyes off the road.
- GPS devices – While GPS devices can help you navigate in unfamiliar areas, using these tools poses a comparable risk to texting and driving.
- Grooming – If you are looking in the mirror to fix your hair or put makeup on, you are not watching the road.
- Attending to other passengers – Your passengers can be a dangerous distraction if your interaction causes you to divert your eyes or attention from being behind the wheel.
If you have been injured in a car accident that may have been the result of distracted driving, contact Herbert Thornbury Attorney at Law at (423) 443-3973 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Chattanooga, Tennessee car accident attorney today.